`git describe`

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Nov 29 16:53:26 CET 2016

Hi,

----- On 29 Nov, 2016, at 14:49, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> But doing this you are implicitly
> > You shouldn't try to extract information from a x.x.99 version number
>
> because it will always pass the test in your ports, regardless of whether the
> user actually kept the installation up to date.

Yes. We trust people that run x.x.99 to figure out what went wrong and update
to the latest master. Actually, we expect people who run master to update that
reasonably often, since the first answer you'll get when filing a bug against an
older version of master is 'update to the latest version'.

> Which will always succeed if you're using a MacPorts base built from master, no
> matter how long that was ago.

Yes. In practice, that's a non-issue.

----- On 29 Nov, 2016, at 14:59, Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org wrote:

> In the past, we often just checked for new features by testing whether
> the corresponding option or proc exists.

That didn't work in this particular case:
  https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/archivers/deco-archive/Portfile#L23

--
Clemens Lang