Working with Git

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 01:50:59 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 06/10/16 09:44, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Can you or someone please add this to the WorkingWithGit wiki page?
>>>
>>> Sounds like the list of remotes is going to get unwieldy. How should one keep it sane?
>>
>> Just through good management. Each MR needs its own branch. That branch can either be on a remote repo, or (if the project allows) a branch on the main repo. Once a MR is merged, the source branch can be deleted.
>
> When you say "MR", you mean merge request, aka pull request in GitHub terminology?

Sorry, yes. I am more familiar with gitlab than git hum, and thats the
term there.

> I understand that a pull request should begin its life in a branch created specifically for this purpose, in a fork of the repo.

Yes, it should be in a branch, but that branch does not *have* to be in
a fork. You could allow that branch to be part of the main repo. It can
be in a fork, and forks are useful for developers for their own uses,
but when they are ready to push something back to the main repo, they
could make a branch in that repo. In my view things get a bit easier for
those reviewing and accepting the pull request in this way, as they
don't have to know about the existance of the users fork.

  That's up to the person submitting the PR to get right.

> I'm talking about how I, as a MacPorts committer, will review, accept and otherwise deal with PRs sent by non-committers.

>>> I did not know that was possible. Who is able to commit to a fork? I presume only the person who made the fork, and committers of the original repo. If that's true, then how would a second non-committer contribute to and improve the first non-committer's fork / pull request?
>>
>> It depends how the owner of the fork has set up their repo.
>
> I did not know there was any way to "set up" a fork. What is there to do, other than click the "fork" button on the GitHub web site?

Again, I am more familiar with gitlab than github, but there once I have
forked a repo, there are settings I can access for that fork, to
configure things like access. I would be surprised if github did not
have something similar.

Chris