dbusmenu-qt5 build failure on 10.7 and 10.8 buildbots because of using libstdc++

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Oct 6 07:48:44 PDT 2016

On 6 October 2016 at 16:23, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> Ken: apologies for not having thought of this, but myself when I was still running 10.6 I've had sufficient success with building C++11 code using a (then) recent gcc port.  It's possible that things have evolved so much nowadays that even that may not cut it anymore.

This would probably mostly work fine if *all* ports were built with
g++ (= against the same version of mp-provided stdlibc++). I can
easily imagine problems when gcc is switched from, say, version 5 to
version 6, but let's ignore that for a moment.

The problem is that MacPorts cannot easily support a zillion of
different configurations and this is certainly an unsupported one.

Some of the ports that require C++11 currently blacklist all the gcc
compilers and enforce libc++. Not because gcc would not be able to
build it, but to ensure at least some consistency. So if you want to
use this configuration, you need quite a bit of editing of different
ports, say goodbye to binary packages, expect other random problems.

I'm not saying that this cannot work. Just that it calls for random
headaches that one has to willingly accept and be able to fix on
him/her own. (Or maintain a fork of MP with a monstrous amount of
work.)

Mojca