port:qt5 and (proposed) port:qt5-kde cohabitation

Marko Käning mk-macports at posteo.net
Thu Oct 6 14:19:38 PDT 2016

Dear Qt folks,

regarding René's post from March (see below) I believe it would be good to
give a _short_ update on the qt5-kde port status.

Currently the situation for port qt5-kde is as follows:

 - Qt at version 5.6.1

 - tested building on Mavericks and El Capitan VMs

 - René also managed to get qt5-kde-qtwebkit into a separate subport

 - allows to build almost all of the KF5 ports @ version 5.24 successfully

 - 5 port groups would have to be updated (see comments 30-34 in [1])

We are very interested in feedback from other Qt maintainers concerning our
chosen path to offer an alternative port for Qt5, which is dedicated to a
better user experience for KDE specifically.

Can we

  a) find a way to merge qt5 and qt5-kde(-devel) somehow

  b) or should we live with offering a dedicated Qt for KDE ??

           What’s your opinion regarding this?

If you’re FOR b), I’d soonish like to commit this port because automated CI
is simply a must now. Us two doing all the build tests is tedious and error
prone.

Also we’d like to introduce the long-planned introduction of KF5 after all,
since KDE4 apps aren’t really maintained anymore.

Greets,
Marko

  P.S.: I could also test it locally on a macOS "10.12.1 Beta” VM before
        committing anything... although I’d prefer to delegate this job
        to our macOS buildbot instead. ;-)

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48967#comment:30