Working with Git

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 10:00:55 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On 07/10/16 17:39, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 7, 2016, at 12:16 PM, Sterling Smith <smithsp at fusion.gat.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>

>> Yabut, then you hear things like “use —force when you need”, except then
>> you hear “—force can really screw things
>>
>  up”.  I’m a little gunshy of that screw-things-up part!
>
> Indeed, I was a little dubious of the suggestions that involve -force. I
> suspect there are better ways of working that should avoid the need for
> that.

--force only comes into it when you are rewriting history (i.e. merging
existing commits that were already sent upstream). Best is to not do this;
work in a branch, combine commits after, and cherrypick those to *another*
clean branch (or diff the first branch to get all changes as one patch, and
apply it in the new branch to get a single commit). Or just accept multiple
commits instead of trying to pretend to be a neat freak after hosting a
wild party.