Issues with oudated ports / GitHub

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 8 09:20:47 PDT 2016

> On 8 Oct 2016, at 11:29 am, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>>> Rainer and Clemens looked into this and got it up and running on our test installation.
>>>

>> So what exactly does this mean ?
>
> It means you will log in to our Trac installation using your GitHub credentials, instead of via Mac OS Forge credentials as it is now.
>

>> Because, honestly, once the migration to GitHub is done unless comments sent to a github pull request are automatically sync’ed to trac, and vice versa, I do not see how trac can be maintained as a via system for discussing the pull requests (and frankly I din’t really see why you would want to).
>
> There will be no syncing of anything between GitHub pull requests and Trac tickets because they are different entities. Trac tickets are where bug reports and other issues will be filed. Currently, if someone has a fix for an issue, they would attach a patch to the Trac ticket; in future, they will instead open a GitHub pull request and paste a link to the pull request into the ticket (or paste a link to the Trac ticket into the pull request; I'm not sure if we've decided that detail yet).

At my work we use gitlab and Jira in a similar way, but there is automatic links between the two, in that if i quote a jira id in a git lab merge request, links between the two is produced automatically. Having to do this by hand strikes me as potentially error prone and a little cumbersome.

> And as Rainer said, there may be some simple changes for which it is sufficient to just submit a pull request, without opening a corresponding Trac ticket. We haven't defined what those situations would be yet.

I would hope that for a simple updates to a port, that isn't addressing a bug report, then no trac ticket will required. The pull request really should be enough in this case, and if any discussion on the update is required it can occur in the pull request. If during the course of that discussion it transpires the update needs more work, then fine a trac ticket could be opened at that point. But  would hope for most it would simply not be necessary, and if it where a requirement to always do this i think that would be an unnecessary overhead.

Cheers Chris