Epiphany requires gnupg and does not accept gnupg21?

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sat Oct 8 19:03:47 PDT 2016

On 10/8/16 5:29 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> On Oct 8, 2016, at 3:33 PM, Johannes Kastl <mail at ojkastl.de> wrote:

>> Dear all,
>>
>> while trying to upgrade my gimp2 port today, I stumbled upon
>> epiphany throwing this error:
>>
>>> sudo port install epiphany --->  Computing dependencies for
>>> epiphany Error: Unable to execute port: Can't install gnupg
>>> because conflicting ports are active: gnupg21
>>
>> Is this a known issue?
>
> That would be gcr, not epiphany.
>
> 	% port echo depends:gnupg and rdepof:epiphany
> 	gcr
>
> gnupg and gnupg21 conflict so that users don't run into unexpected
> behavior switching back and forth [1]. I'm not really sure what the best
> way of remedying this is.
>
> [1]: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/45856#comment:3
>
> vq

As Larry says, the gnupg dependency is coming from gcr, and, at first glance, that doesn't seem correct to
me.  gcr provides ui widgets to display/handle gnupg generated records as well as opengpg, etc, but libgcrypt and
p11-kit should be sufficient to do this and I don't see any dependency on gnupg in configure.ac.   This just
may be a hold over from old times.  Will investigate further and see if the gnupg dependency can just go away.

Dave