path normalisation in "base"

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Oct 11 07:33:26 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-11 10:43, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> To come back to action_provides: if the registry saves a port's
> "intended" paths (the ones stored in the software image tarball), why
> do a lookup of the actual/resolved path? That would make it
> impossible to check which port installs a symlink (to a file or
> directory installed by itself, some other port, or even to something
> in system space), regardless of whether there are "unexpected"
> symlinks in the path, no?

I cannot reproduce these claims. 'port provides' works for symlinks as
expected. Note that file normalize does not resolve symlinks in the last
component.

$ readlink /opt/local/lib/terminfo
../share/terminfo
$ port provides /opt/local/lib/terminfo
/opt/local/lib/terminfo is provided by: ncurses
$ port provides /opt/local/lib/terminfo/78/xterm
/opt/local/share/terminfo/78/xterm is provided by: ncurses

Rainer