advanced bash-ing for long compiles

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 07:30:17 PDT 2016

Some advice appreciated ...

long compiles can take hours

i can ssh into the machine and get it started

sudo port -v install gcc48 gcc5 gcc6 gcc7

that, for example, might take several days to finish (if it does finish)

then I control-Z to pause it, and "bg" to throw it into the background

then I can close my ssh session and the compile proceeds...

how exactly do I best find that process to "fg" it again? If I just log back in and "fg" it, it is not found. but top shows the process is humming away in the background, as expected

is the process different from a local shell vs a remote shell?
is this all wrong, and it's way better to use screen or tmux or ???

Thanks,