Objection to restoring deprecated Python subports

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Tue Oct 18 01:04:41 PDT 2016

On 18 October 2016 at 08:43, David Evans <devans at macports.org> wrote:
> BTW, why aren't we removing the outdated python24 python25 python26 python31 python32 python33 ports?
> Leaving these around just encourages proposals to regress back to these relics.

IIRC there was a policy of "as long as it builds it can stay in port tree".

This seems to raise a question about obligations towards users: given
this is a best-effort project should "old" ports be removed in order
to avoid the burden of supporting them?
The "burden" here takes into account ticket managing as well.

Such a topic then widens towards less known, nomaintainer ports, who
at times have tickets floating around for months -I'd say for years as
I seem to recall one or two cases I stumbled on but I'm not sure about
it. Should less-maintained ports be removed as it's being suggested
for old python versions?
If so what draws the line, upstream support?

Would it be advisable to formalize such policy in a specific file?

--
Andrea