"Failed to open portfile from registry" while reinstalling because of configure.optflags

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Oct 25 15:04:47 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 08:34:31AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I don't know the answers to your questions, but I wanted to mention
> that I also have noticed the "Failed to open portfile from registry"
> error far more often than seems normal to me. ("Never" would seem
> normal to me.)

Interesting. The last time I've seen any of these messages is for the
last GHC upgrade, and they were indeed expected and could not be avoided
there.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 07:17:23PM +0200, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Yes, never would seem normal, esp. if the Portfile is there when you
> check :)

When a port is opened from registry, it does not use the state of the
Portfile that you currently have in your ports tree. It uses the state
of the Portfile as it was when you installed the port. This also applies
to PortGroups.

As such, Portfiles or PortGroups that haven't been written carefully can
trigger this warning from time to time. A common problem is checking for
the presence of a file, or running a tool, and not catching the errors.

--
Clemens