querying the registry for installed files

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:46:26 PDT 2016

On Friday October 28 2016 21:22:41 Clemens Lang wrote:

Hi,

> Isn't this essentially what 'port provides' does?

Only if you already know the full path to the file, and if you're only interested in the active port.

What I have in mind is two-fold:
- an alternative to spotlight's `mdfind -name` limited to files installed by MacPorts (which could be enough justification to exclude ${prefix} from SpotLight indexing).
- a way to find the port(s) that install a given file, even if they're not currently active (as in, which port was it again I have to activate to re-enable that nifty command called something like ...).

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll play around with them!

R.