Working with Git

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Oct 31 21:54:53 PDT 2016

On 31 October 2016 at 16:35, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> One of the suggestions in this thread was to use the "hub" wrapper around git. Based on the fact that their homepage only mentions how to install hub with Homebrew, and that they have twice refused [1] to acknowledge on their web page that hub can also be installed with MacPorts, I am uncomfortable referring users to their web page, and I suggest that we do not mention "hub" in our page.
>
> while that's super-silly of the 'hub' author, I don't think we need to retaliate by not using or recommending the software if it's useful.

I can imagine a newbie trying to navigate to the page and thinking
that installation of Homebrew is necessary for making that software
work, just to screw up the rest of MacPorts. An additional problem
might be that whenever users have a problem with the software and file
a bug report, they might get an equally annoying answer saying
"Install Homebrew, I don't support MP". I had a problem with one
particular project in the past that a typical answer to any bug report
I filed was "stop using MacPorts, it's obviously broken" when in 90%
of the cases it was their bug that just showed up when using certain
newer dependencies or a particular set of configure flags they never
tested.

I would understand not accepting a complex patch for the sake of
supporting some legacy system, but not such a strong attitude against
adding one line to the documentation.

I'm with Ryan in this case. We don't prevent anyone from using this
software if they choose to, I just don't see the point of advertising
software whose maintainer decided to go against MP.

Disclaimer: I have no clue how useful the software is, I've never
tested it myself.

Mojca