[MacPorts] #52144: mariadb: support for mpkg / mdmg

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Sep 5 08:03:18 PDT 2016

> On Sep 5, 2016, at 8:42 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Not to belabour the issue, but should it not be the impact to port users that determines whether a change is “minor” or not?

I believe the "minorness" of the change is wholly up to the maintainer.

> The number of lines, by itself, doesn’t necessarily determine that impact. For example, a 1 or 2 line change in one of the database ports might make a new database engine the default.

It is certainly true that a small change with great impact is not minor, but a large change with little impact is also not minor. As an extreme example, I would not appreciate a commit to one of my ports that had no impact on the installation yet completely rearranged the portfile. I'd have to waste time reading and understanding the committer's code, looking for edge cases and failure modes, reworking local commits that no longer apply, etc.

(This situation can already happen via timeout, but in that case there is a clear, objective policy that maintainers implicitly agree to when they take up maintainership.)

My rule of thumb is that fixing typos and broken builds is almost always okay under openmaintainer. Many maintainers also permit minor version bumps and bug fixes, but some don't. In all cases, it's safest to wait out the 72 hours.

vq