Fakeroot destrooting [Was: Re: lldb ...]

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 05:42:36 PDT 2016

On Saturday September 10 2016 14:22:16 Clemens Lang wrote:

Hi,

>Except that fakeroot uses library preloading, a technique that's more or
>less dead on modern OS X thanks to Apple's changes related to SIP:
>DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES is stripped for all binaries with the SIP bit set.

Fakeroot uses library preloading on Linux, but that doesn't mean other solutions aren't possible. Evidently that would require an official Apple fakeroot implementation.

>It can still be done with utter hacks (copying the binary into a file
>without the SIP bit and executing it from there, which we do for trace
>mode),

Do you mean something along the lines of `cat /bin/sh > /tmp/sh`?
If so, why not simply use port:bash for trace mode?

BTW, how do you get calls like system() to use something other than /bin/sh ?

>but I have neither seen any other library preloading utility that
>used to work on OS X implement these changes nor convinced any of their
>developers to do so.

They simpy advise to disable SIP, then?

R.