Fakeroot destrooting [Was: Re: lldb ...]

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 06:45:25 PDT 2016

On Saturday September 10 2016 15:15:54 Clemens Lang wrote:

Hi,

>There are no other solutions that I'm aware of on OS X. We discussed

Sorry, I meant for Apple to develop something like fakeroot from the ground up.

>FYI, I'm including a list of the files that are currently affected on my
>system by the last 200-or-so runs of MacPorts at the end of this mail.

Right ...

>additional effort to support macOS for little gain. It's no secret that
>macOS isn't the platform for Unix devs that it used to be.

Well, what we call "bad tongues" in French could say that MacOS never was a platform for Unix development ;)

>Here's the list:
<SNIP>

I'll know where to point the next person who wonders why disabling SIP will be the 1st thing I'll do after I've finally upgraded from 10.9 ....

But I see quite a few items on there that are unlikely to call other applications. If this is only about preserving DYLD_LIBRARY_PRELOAD, why do you need to treat utilities like cat or rm?

And what happens when you (re)set one of the tainted env. variables in a shell or interpreter with the SIP bit set? Is it unset or filtered out when you call another executable, even if that exec doesn't have the SIP bit set?

R.