github desktop's request to install command line tools, and macports git command line tools ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 18 20:11:59 PDT 2016

> On Sep 18, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Github desktop seems a useful tool — but it wants to install command line tools (specifically mentioning github utility and git-lfs) into /usr/local/bin.
>
> right now, I’m set up with
>
> /opt/local/bin/git
>
> and I see there already is a port git-lfs versioned 1.4.1
>
> It’s just these kinds of things that gets things messed up sometimes.
>
> Anyone been down this path? Could always install the desktop’s tools and then hide them I suppose ...

I do use GitHub Desktop. I don't appear to have its command line tools installed. Do you notice missing functionality with GitHub Desktop that you require when those tools are not installed? Otherwise I would say just don't install those tools. But it's probably not the end of the world if you do install the tools.