No Xcode 8 CLT for El Capitan

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Sep 22 01:52:12 PDT 2016

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 12:46, Marko Käning <mk-macports at posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> there is no CLT for Xcode 8?
>
> How come Xcode 8.0 tells me in "Preferences/Locations" that it uses CLT "Xcode 8.0 (8A218a)”!

That refers to what is selected via xcode-select.  That means that xcrun and the stubs like /usr/bin/clang result in usage of the toolchains within that Xcode.app version.  The CLTools toolchain is in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools.  If you have Xcode.app installed, you likely don't even care about /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools and the only reason you need the CLTools package is for the headers for the base system (/usr/include, et al.)