No Xcode 8 CLT for El Capitan

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 22 15:23:04 PDT 2016

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Adam Dershowitz <dersh at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Perhaps the answer, that I was missing, is that to use Xcode 8, on 10.11, the user must explicitly install CLTools, but that would not be the case to run Xcode 7 on 10.11 or Xcode 8 on 10.12?

On every version of the Mac operating system ever made, to use any version of MacPorts ever made, you should install Xcode and the command line tools. It would be nice if we did not require both, but we currently do, because some ports will fail to build when one or the other is not present. Though if you use a default MacPorts installation and can therefore receive binaries from our server, you may be able to avoid those problems since you won't have to build most ports yourself.