[MacPorts] WorkingWithGit modified

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Sep 23 12:02:04 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 01:38:43PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > On Sep 23, 2016, at 13:33, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't include this because it's not how I normally work. I
> > usually only create branches for larger changes. I wouldn't be
> > opposed to include it, but I'm probably not the best person to write
> > these docs.
>
> If you commit directly to master of your fork, then submit a pull
> request, you can't do anything else on master until your pull request
> is accepted. If you make further changes on master they will be
> included in the pull request, which you wouldn't want if they are
> unrelated changes.

For most of the pull requests I've sent on GitHub so far I wanted a
specific feature or bugfix to be integrated and did not want to make
other changes, so the branch was just not necessary.

If you still want to make other changes, you can always work locally,
too. You can see your local repository as yet another branch.

> And once your pull request is merged, then what? GitHub will give you
> a nice "you can now delete your master branch because it's been
> merged" button...

I usually deleted the entire repository after the PR was merged.

Maybe this approach will change for MacPorts, but most of our users
probably don't update 12 different ports in 6 different PRs at the same
time.

--
Clemens