[MacPorts] WorkingWithGit modified

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Sep 23 12:14:23 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 11:56:19AM -0700, Sterling Smith wrote:
> Being a co-maintainer of a software project hosted on GitHub, where
> the main developer does not use branches leads to inconsistencies in
> how his contributions are handled vs other developers.

What would those inconsistencies be?

What is the difference between the master branch in a fork and an
arbitrarily named branch based off master in a fork? Can't both be
rebased against upstream/master in exactly the same way?

> I highly recommend that Clemens move to putting logically separate
> changes in separate topical branches, and avoid developing on master,
> except very tiny changes, e.g. typos in docs.

My point was (as explained in the parallel mail) that I seldom have
multiple logically separate changes at the same time, and just make my
fork's master branch my topic branch for the duration of the pull
request.

> There should also be a decision on the recommended way to get updates
> from the latest master, whether that is by merging or rebasing.  I
> personally like rebasing, but there is a stigma associated with it.
> Note the possibility of a safer forced push after a rebase with
> --force-with-lease.  (I didn't look to see if there was already a
> recommendation.)

See https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#updating. The text
currently recommends a rebase.

What's the stigma? The need to force push to your fork?

--
Clemens