[MacPorts] WorkingWithGit modified

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 23 13:02:25 PDT 2016

> On Sep 23, 2016, at 14:46, Arno Hautala <arno at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> Seems best to always create a branch before beginning any work, in case you find out later you have more work you want to submit.
>
> I use git at work and our workflow is to create a new branch for every
> issue, even if it's as small as a single character typo in a
> documentation file. git clones are really inexpensive so I think the
> advantage really shows itself for smaller changes where you can
> quickly open multiple pull requests.
>
> We also require that all tests pass before any pull is merged to
> master with the goal that master is never broken.

Tests are currently broken so we can't enforce such a thing right now.

> I'm not sure if
> there's any way to integrate the status from the buildbot with Github
> pull requests. Or if there's an easy way to have the buildbot build
> from external branches. It would certainly be nifty if the status of
> each buildbot could be listed next to the pull request for base and
> ports.

I think we should be able to add build status to commits. Building untrusted pull requests is however an entirely different matter. We would have to set up a new VM for each build. It's conceivable, but nothing of the kind is currently set up or in progress.