buildpath conf variable

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 01:07:37 PDT 2016

Hi,

I know that more and more people (esp developers?) are using SSDs and that for them fragmentation starts hitting only when it's the free space that's really severely fragmented. I have no experience in that area, and do not currently have the budget to obtain that experience.

Either way, it seems to me that it might be an interesting idea to make it possible (easier) to put the build directory on a separate volume (interesting for anyone building a lot from source). This removes a big source of free space fragmentation (on disks where fragmentation is an issue), but in general helps keep ${prefix} cleaner. It can also help keeping log files more compact and thus more readable if a shorter base path is chosen.

Is this an idea that would stand a chance being considered for "base", IOW, should I file a wishlist ticket on trac?

In fact I have an untested hunch that at least for my own purposes it could be useful to have separate trees (and thus potentially separate volumes) for source.dir and build.dir/destroot.dir, where possible ... but I also have a hunch that would be more anyone could ask for :)

Cheers,
René