I'm a newbie mantainer and I'm confused about the buildbot

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Thu Sep 29 15:23:07 PDT 2016

> On Sep 29, 2016, at 5:46 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On 29 September 2016 at 22:10, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
>>
>> 1. Should I open a ticket when a build broke to track the progress of fixing
>> it?
>
> Yes.

I would encourage doing so. Sometimes old tickets have information that
proves useful elsewhere.

>> 2. In case a package simply cannot be built in an unsupported version/ arch
>> of OS X (because upstream won't fix it and I don't know how to fix it), is
>> it possible to blacklist that combination on the Portfile so the buildbot
>> won't attempt to build it and/or users will be notified if they try to
>> install that package on that combination?

If you really have no intention of attempting to support the old
platform, you can bail out in a pre-fetch stage (I think) with an error
message. It's much less than ideal, but it's better than failing with an
obtuse linking error or something.

>> When I feel that I need a
>> second pair of eyes, like in this case, should I prefer to contact first the
>> -user or -devel lists or upstream?
>
> I would suggest macports-devel and/or upstream.
>
> This is not something that plain users should be concerned about, it's
> clearly a "developer" issue. Whether asking on the -devel mailing list
> or upstream depends a bit on situation. You could do both.

Don't hesitate to email macports-dev about maintainence issues. That's
its raison d'être, after all.

vq