I'm a newbie mantainer and I'm confused about the buildbot

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Sep 29 15:42:54 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-30 00:09, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net
> <mailto:dluke at geeklair.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Sep 29, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org
>     <mailto:larryv at macports.org>> wrote:
>     > Our blanket policy is to support the three most recent major OS
>     > versions.
>
>     unless policy has actually changed (and I somehow missed it), the
>     policy is current release and one previous.
>     [and if anything, the policy should be further restricted to only
>     include OS releases still supported by Apple - ie those actively
>     getting security updates]
>

> The policy changed, and it did so because Apple changed its policy to
> that as of 10.10. So with 10.12 out Apple is providing security updates
> for 10.10 and up only (unless I missed them changing it again).

I am not aware Apple has any public security policy.

Security updates just seem to happen when they want to. For example,
macOS 10.12 Sierra is the recommended update to fix security bugs
discovered and left vulnerable in OS X 10.11 El Capitan:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207170

When Apple switched to yearly releases, consensus in discussions was to
support the last three releases of the Mac operating system. Anything
older are legacy systems, for which we try to provide a working base and
accept patches for ports. If something is broken on these older
releases, maintainers should not invest their time to get it fixed -
unless they have personal interest, in which case we cannot stop them
anyway.

The only indicator of this policy seems to be our downloads page, which
at the moment still lists OS X 10.9 Mavericks as non-legacy. I would
move that to legacy once macOS 10.12 Sierra has been out for at least a
month.

https://www.macports.org/install.php

Rainer