[MacPorts] #49559: nepomuk-core can't be installed on a case-sensitive system (was: neponuk can't be installed on a case-sensitive system)

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Fri Sep 30 07:21:23 PDT 2016

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 4:44 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday September 30 2016 02:53:22 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> I am not aware of Apple installing files whose names differ only by
>> case; it wouldn't make sense for them to do so, given that the
>> default filesystem is case-insensitive and can't accommodate that.
>> If you believe they do install files that way, please give
>> a specific example.
>
> No, I didn't say that, and you're right that makes it less of an issue
> (but still a bad idea to rely on a case-preserving feature, IMHO).

Case-insensitive and case-preserving are not the same thing.

>> Apple has decided Mac OS has a case-insensitive filesystem by
>> default; it's pointless to talk about what you think they should
>> have done; they didn't do that.
>
> I don't agree; it's never too late to repent and do the right thing
> (in general).

Your moralizing is not appreciated. Cut it out.

> That's your right, but don't think you have the "moral high ground".
> Or do you consider that nothing in computer science and application
> should be case-sensitive?

We are not talking about about computer science. We are talking about
the Mac platform, on which most filesystems are case-insensitive.

> And in general MacPorts seem to agree with my PoV

Rest assured, "MacPorts" does not agree with your PoV on anything.

> otherwise the build bots wouldn't have used a case-sensitive
> filesystem.

We are in full control of those systems, so it's feasible for us to use
HFSX there. We do not control our users' systems.

> It's simple reality: a probably big majority of the ports provided
> come from a universe where case-sensitivity is the norm, and there's
> no point in crusading against this or projects making assumptions
> about it.

Our "simple reality" is that most of our users do not use HFSX, and
there's an equally strong argument to be made that we should not be
crusading against *that*.

vq