GSoC Proposal

Zero King l2dy at icloud.com
Sat Apr 1 01:21:08 UTC 2017

On 3/31/17 6:23 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
> First of all, great to see a proposal coming from you as a project
> member!
Thanks.
> We do not have anything else in Go yet, so this would be new to our
> infrastructure. I am a bit hesitant with that, because even after this
> GSoC, we will need someone to maintain this service. Personally, I also
> know next to nothing about Go.
I'll maintain it :)

Go produce static binaries and should be easy to deploy.
> The other details given in the proposal are still quite sparse. I do not
> yet see everything this project includes and how you will use the time
> for the proposed task. Remember the GSoC program is meant to keep you
> working for 12 weeks.
Updated the gist with more details.

I was wondering which should I follow " How to work with us" on GSoC
website or
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeApplicationTemplate.
> Could you give us a timeline? Do you have any milestones, especially for
> the midterm evaluation? What will be the status at the end of GSoC this
> summer? Is your plan to have it fully deployed already?
Updated the gist. Yes, I plan to have it fully deployed.
> How will the bot work in detail? I guess listening to the webhooks?
> Where will it get its database for the maintainers? Or do you intend to
> parse the submitted/modified Portfile?
Sure, it will listen to the webhooks and need a URL for that.

It will get the maintainers from unmodified Portfile for security
considerations.
However if the migration to GitHub handles didn't make it will have to
get that from a database.
> What will the scripts for Travis CI be written in? Can we reuse code
> from the buildbot infrastructure, namely mpbb [1] which is written in
> bash shell script? What are steps you will take to implement this
> functionality?
YAML and Bash. mpbb code can be reused.

To implement this, first let Travis generate archives for base and then
use the archive and modified mpbb to test the PR.

--
Best regards,
Zero King