[macports-ports] branch master updated: nginx: Add headers_more module support

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Apr 10 10:57:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

----- On 9 Apr, 2017, at 00:25, Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org wrote:

> Using GitHub archive URLs in this context is not optimal, because the filename
> only contains the module's version number. This will only keep working until
> one of the modules has a version number that one of the other modules has had
> in the past.

I'm aware of this limitation. We've historically done this for other modules,
too, though.

> In this situation, it would be better to use GitHub's older tarball URLs which
> can accept any filename, such as one that includes the name of the module. See
> for example my patch to add the fancyindex module here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52103

Thanks for the idea, but rather than fixing this, I'd rather move to separate
ports per module.

> More generally, the method of adding modules to nginx sucks. They should be
> separate ports, not modules. I am guessing nginx doesn't support that. Have you
> ever discussed this with the developers of nginx?

nginx has added support for dynamically loaded modules in one of their more recent
releases. Unfortunately, this requires code changes in the modules to be supported
and few modules had caught up when I last checked.

Hopefully, more modules will adopt support for this in the future, at which point
we should move all modules that support it from variants to separate ports.

Development seems to be quite slow on some of the modules (to the point where I
sometimes have to disable them for nginx updates because they are incompatible), so
we may be stuck with the variants for a while.

--
Clemens Lang