building from source with libc++

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Apr 21 07:56:07 UTC 2017

On 20 April 2017 at 23:06, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 03:13:37PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> The thing is that a lot of these failures happen when developers don't
>> put too much attention into consistently respecting all flags. Some
>> don't respect the compiler, but that's easier to spot, easier to argue
>> about and much easier to test on any given 10.12 box. Testing for
>> correct stdlib flags is left to weirdos still running the ancient
>> boxes and includes a lot of effort in making sure that upstream fixes
>> the problems. But no matter how much effort goes into this, there will
>> still be a huge number of packages forgetting to add all the CXXFLAGS
>> to their autoconf setup or to their manually crafted makefiles.
>
> Homebrew has the option to wrap their compiler in a script for this
> reason. They even sanitize the options passed to that compiler to match
> the ones they expect.
>
> If you have time, give it a shot and see what breaks (and what doesn't).

Good idea.

You mean putting compiler to a script or using something like
CC="clang -arch i386" (and fix it for CMake)?

Not right now (some higher priority things at the moment), but I'll
probably ask for a bit of help in case I get stuck with Tcl and then
test.

Mojca

PS: It would probably make sense to find a slightly faster machine and
fire up a number of builds using our buildbot setup :), on a local
master & slave of course.