Tiger Virtual Machine on VirtualBox

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 05:23:50 UTC 2017

A few tidbits to make life much easier for anyone who wants to try MacPorts on a TigerVM.

Last XCode for Tiger was 2.5.
Tiger’s Safari is pretty useless due to security inadequacies, but TenFourFox-G3 version runs passably well under Rosetta, and connects to current https websites. There is no Intel version.

I suggest you install Macports-2.4.1 from source, rather than use the installer for 2.3.3 that is on the website.

To get past the security hiccups with MacPorts, one tested method is to install a “bootstrap” copy of Macports into something like /opt/bootstrap, to install curl into.
The command to configure that from the source directory is
./configure —prefix=/opt/bootstrap —with-applications-dir=/opt/bootstrap/Applications

Once that is done, install curl into that
sudo /opt/bootstrap/bin/port -v install curl

Then install your working macports copy from source again, into the default location, referencing the curl in /opt/bootstrap to give you a modern ssl setup.
The command to configure that from the source directory is
./configure —with-curlprex=/opt/bootstrap/

Set up your MacPorts path as per usual, and then you’re done, and ready to timewarp back to 2004.