[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Mon Aug 7 08:00:14 UTC 2017

Hi

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Jackson Isaac <ijackson at macports.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at macports.org>
> wrote:

> the
> as
> >>

> >> Probably just ordered by rowid, i.e. might as well be random. Note that
> >> the sort_ports proc from restore_ports.tcl does not take a list of
> registry
> >> references like registry::entry returns, but a list of strings
> representing
> >> port names, versions and variants in the format generated by 'port
> >> installed'.
> >

> > `port installed` returns the result of `registry::entry imaged` sorted
> in an
> > alphabetical order, first by name, then version etc.
> >
> > `registry::entry imaged` might be returning in a random order but
> sorting it
> > (with ports coming before their dependencies) doesn't change the result
> at
> > all.
> >

> [1] and [2] might be useful. The list of ports are passed to
> _mportexec after topologically sorting them for installing. This might
> also answer some of your previous queries regarding using [mportexec
> $workername $install_target] and sorting the dependencies at once.

Thanks for this.

> Variants is still pending. You could try to integrate sorting and
> installation of ports with libsolv and extend variant handling from
> your script. You might have to tweak the libsolv code if you pass the
> variants like foo+bar-baz. One idea could be to add 'bar' as
> dependency and 'baz' as conflict explicitly since it will only read
> the portindex for 'foo'.

When you say variants is still pending, do you mean we can't specify
particular set of variants along with a port to be installed? So, it always
assumes the default variants for a port at present?

If the variants are still not supported by libsolv, what I think is best to
go with calculating dependencies recursively as I'm doing now and then
integrate it with libsolv.

> Libsolv proved to be faster than our traditional recursive dependency
> calculation engine even after reading through the complete portindex
> every time it was called.

I had doubts about "reading the portindex contents first and writing into
libsolv formatted solvables"  every time when I went through the code but
for now, I can take your word.

> Let me know if you have any doubts regarding the libsolv code. The
> comments should be explanatory enough by itself but feel free if you
> want to understand what is actually happening behind the scenes by
> libsolv.

The comments are really descriptive there. macports-base can hopefully
learn from it.

- Umesh