[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Fri Aug 11 11:14:18 UTC 2017

Hi

> And then again, I am sensing a confusion with the idea of snapshot with
>> Josh, like when he says "remove ports when they are no longer referenced by
>> any snapshot".
>>

> What confusion exactly? A snapshot is simply a set of ports (by which I
> mean rows in the 'ports' table, with a unique combination of
> name,version,revision,variants). When nothing references a row any more,
> it needs to be deleted.

By 'ports', do you mean 'registry.ports' table? If yes, then I disagree.
It's actually 'registry.snapshot_ports' table. A snapshot has nothing to do
with the original registry "tables".

Also, we are not using version and revision. Even going by the literal
meaning of a snapshot, it should not have a key or id linked to something
that can change over time. It's simply the present state.

Later, I am planning to keep information on the manual portgroups in the
snapshot, if there are any.

- Umesh