[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Sat Aug 26 14:38:22 UTC 2017

Hi Brad,

It occurred to me that I have been committing but did not update you for a
while. For the last few weeks, I have the following notes. I have tried to
write them in a to-the-point manner.

*GSoC Week #10 (4 Aug - 10 Aug)*

Points:

   1. if no variants, then avoid searching for them, so another field in
   snapshot_ports?
   2. to bring the whole snapshot to use Tcl, need to create the entire
   snapshot-stack
   3. limit the number of snapshots a user can store?

*GSoC Week #11 (11 Aug - 18 Aug)*

Points:

   1. We're not doing requested variants yet.

*GSoC Week #12 (19 Aug - 25 Aug)*

I am taking up the only safe approach to restoring all the ports that were
installed and let the user trim leaves afterward.

Points:

   1. added documentation for all the registry-snapshot functions
   2. finally fixed the snapshot format for passing an object from the
   registry to tcl
   3. added copyright notices to all the files with “2017 The MacPorts
   Project”
   4. removed printf/puts statements from all my files
   5. made installation and sort function use the new format of [snapshot
   ports]
   6. removed TODOs which were over and described the left ones at proper
   places

Doubts:

   1. How many snapshots to list for restore? I'm doing 10, I just don't
   feel like listing everything for now.

TODO:

   1. no hash for snapshot->proc, yet.
   2. working on installing the port command after uninstalling.

All comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Umesh Singla