Why does macports require a migration across major version bumps?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Wed Aug 30 01:01:36 UTC 2017

What is the underlying reason to require a reinstall across major
versions? I did something silly/stupid/smart  and removed the check
from libexec/macports/lib/macports1.0/macports.tcl and just did 'sudo
port upgrade outdated' to rebuild the world. It got about 90% of the
way through and only errored on a few expected
broken-for-other-reasons ports.

Obvious I'm down the deep hole of unsupported actions but I'm curious
about what gets missed when someone does this?

--
Eitan Adler