how to efficiently work through generating patches using git and macports build process?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 15:44:46 UTC 2017

I'm looking to improve my efficiency.

When trying to fix broken ports, I have so far been using the method of copying the source file to source.orig, editing the source files in place, and then noting the files I worked on, to individually diff them at the end to individual patch files.

It's easy to understand, but not super efficient, especially when I make a number of changes in different files.

Using macports build process, is there a more efficient way that people use, perhaps using git branches in the worksrcdir?

Something like -

sudo port -v extract PORTNAME

then make a git branch in the worksrcdir and check it out

then

`sudo port -v build PORTNAME` or perhaps `sudo port -v destroot PORTNAME`

and  keep plugging away with edits until it builds to completion

and in the end, just git diff the whole worksrcdir folder?

Best,

Ken