how to efficiently work through generating patches using git and macports build process?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Aug 30 16:18:45 UTC 2017

On 30 August 2017 at 18:10, Ken Cunningham wrote:

>> Didn't we have a set of "shortcuts" that included the commands for
>> setting up the local GIT repo? Might be worthwhile for folks with such
>> shortcuts to push a link to this list (again). - MLD
>
> I do use a git repo to branch the macports port tree, to record portfile changes and patches that I submit as PRs.
>
> I'm thinking here more of methods to efficiently record the changes I make in the source code of the port with this question... could be it's obvious and I'm not seeing it :>

I usually do

    sudo port -v install foo

Then I realize that something went wrong, so I continue with

    sudo port clean foo
    sudo port -v patch foo
    cd $(port work foo)
    cd foo-version
    sudo git init .
    sudo git add -A
    <make edits>
    git diff > /tmp/my-patches.diff

And more or less make sure that you don't do "sudo port -v install"
without, say the "-k" flag to keep the files before your run "git
diff".

Mojca