Too many compilers needed for C++11

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Dec 7 09:28:19 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-7 17:39 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 00:37, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> On 2017-12-7 17:29 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> (I don't know why MacPorts base considers this a warning, rather than an
>>> immediate-exit error.)
>> Because you wouldn't want things like portindex or 'port info' to fail
>> because of it.
>
> Surely there's a way to arrange it so that port info and portindex succeed but the compile is stopped as early as possible. For example, set the compiler to /usr/bin/false, or a MacPorts-internal binary that prints a helpful error message.

Surely. What's wanted is much the same as the proposed support for
indicating that ports don't build on particular platforms. (You want to
realise it isn't going to work before you install any dependencies.)

When the current warning was added, it was more of an afterthought, like
the default case of a switch statement that should theoretically cover
all possibilities. I don't think anybody expected that so many ports
would end up in this invalid state.

- Josh