Build Failure on ports-10.6_i386_legacy: ocaml, py27-certifi, py27-mistune, py27-scandir, py27-tz, py27-zmq, root6, xrootd

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 15 03:44:24 UTC 2017

On Dec 14, 2017, at 20:37, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 19:16:15 -0600 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Dec 14, 2017, at 18:43, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>
>>> So I had naively hoped that by erroring out the build of ocaml on
>>> MacOS < 10.7 that I'd cease to get nagged about build failures of
>>> the port, but apparently no such luck. I suppose that's because
>>> the system does still try to build the port, and it fails.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts about a way to specify that only some versions
>>> of the operating system can build a port, so the build bots don't
>>> get angry?
>>
>> We don't have a way to do that right now, sorry.
>
> Would it be reasonable to add an equivalent of supported_archs? We
> could then have the buildbots notice that. Are the buildbot sources
> on github? I could have a look at what would be required...

It's not a buildbot issue at this point; it's a MacPorts base issue. MacPorts base needs to offer portfiles the ability to specify that a port cannot build on a particular platform. It has been previously mentioned that the existing `platforms` option could be extended with a syntax like:

platforms {darwin >= 7}

but I don't think any work has begun on that.

We would then probably need a new MacPorts action, maybe "installable", that lets a user (or more particularly the buildbot) query whether MacPorts thinks a port is installable or not. If not, the buildbot can then skip it.

I couldn't immediately find a ticket for this.

Yes, our buildbot configuration is on GitHub, as is the source of mpbb, the tool our buildbot runs to do MacPorts builds.