I did something stupid and now can't uninstall a port

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Dec 20 02:51:42 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-20 12:24 , Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I have a port I'm working on, with a gui subport:
>
> sheepshaver
> sheepshaver-gui
>
> I accidentally made a typo installing the subport, and I typed this:
>
> sudo port -v install  subport=sheepshaver=gui
>

> now I have a port installed like this:
>
> $ port -v installed | grep sheep
>  sheepshaver=gui @20171215_0 (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='x86_64' date='2017-12-19T16:50:16-0800'
>

> and I can't uninstall it:
>
> $ sudo port uninstall sheepshaver=gui

Well, that's unfortunate. We probably shouldn't allow port names that
parseFullPortSpec doesn't recognise as such. (Or add a syntax to
explicitly specify name,version,revision,variants separately and
unambiguously.)

This particular case at least isn't possible in master any more, since
specifying nonexistent subports causes an error.

If you add the mistake-name to the index, you should be able to select
it for uninstallation with an expression like "installed and
sheepshaver\*". Just need to add

subport sheepshaver=gui {}

to the portfile and run portindex.

- Josh