Fix Sierra Trac query

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 25 22:18:08 UTC 2017

On Dec 25, 2017, at 15:28, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I would be in favour of changing the strings from cat names to
> numbers, but of course this would only make sense if this was done
> properly, automatically for all tickets. I'm sure that there's a way
> to make such mass-edits, potentially while disabling email
> notifications for that change if needed. (But I would not worry about
> those emails.)

It's definitely possible for the Trac administrator to make changes to the database directly using SQL. That doesn't cause email notifications to be sent. I certainly made some such changes to our previous Trac installation at macOS forge, to clean up spam. Of course it's very important for the administrator to be very careful in writing those SQL statements. They can be complex, and it's very easy to inadvertently change the wrong thing, and no straightforward way to undo it.

Trac also has a batch-modify web interface, which might be limited to administrators only, which might be able to handle this. But that will send email notifications.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/TracBatchModify