[macports-ports] 01/02: meson-1.0: new PortGroup

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 17:28:38 UTC 2017

> On Dec 30, 2017, at 11:52 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> +# Meson's install_name currently seems to be broken, so workarounds might be needed to make ports actually work.
>> +# See: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2121
>
> Yeah something is going to have to get fixed there. I don't understand why they want to use @rpath which requires Mac OS X 10.5 or greater. I'd like to rip that out and replace it with plain old absolute-path install_names which we use almost everywhere in MacPorts and they work great on all macOS versions.

Also, if we did use the @rpath method, MacPort's library path is not on the system’s runpath search list. AFAIK, it can’t be added to the system runpath search list globally any longer due to security concerns. (This is an advantage that homebrew has, as /usr/local/lib _is_ on the default runpath search, so @rpath libraries “just work”).

So in practice, for MacPorts this means that every binary that uses an @rpath-designated library would need to be rebuilt with MacPort’s default library path as an added search rpath.

This means adding "-rpath ${prefix}/lib” to the link line of every build that uses an @rpath library.

As it is hard to know if a given library has a fully designated name, or a @rpath name,  that likely means adding it to every build.

Again, this leads us back to the “plain old absolute-path install_names.

Ken