build progress bar

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:45:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've been tinkering a bit with a build progress bar feature that uses the information certain build systems provide.
CMake for instance generates Makefiles that print regular "[xyz%] " tags in their regular output which can be processed with a simple scan in ui_message (macports.tcl). One should be able to use `macports::ui_options(progress_generic)` from there, but that feature would have to be initialised. I've failed to do that from portbuild.tcl as well as from `command_exec` in portutil.tcl .

What have I been missing to access that variable from those places?

On a more general note I was thinking of supporting this kind of progress reporting via a callback hook which can then be set by (say) the CMake portgroup. I'd love to have progress feedback when not doing a verbose build but not enough to try and hack something generic together that works across most build systems even if they don't provide progress (percentage or "X of of Y") info.
IIRC we discussed a feature like this a while back; has anyone been giving it any thought?

R.