build progress bar

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:17:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

I don't think I was the one who wrote that :)

> expect line number information to show up a couple of hours after a port
> has appeared in portindex, by which time quite a few people may already
> have installed it.

Speaking of "quite a few people" who provide line number info: how do you consider handling if their information doesn't match, for instance because not everyone is using exactly the same compiler and compiler options?

And the other thing that was mentioned, incremental builds. Do you also see a clever solution to the challenge those pose?

> I agree that privacy is a concern, which is why this should be opt-in.

Evidently, but it's not the opt-in sending of information that I find a bit frown-worthy. You either decide to participate or you don't. It's the fact that you'd need to query a remote server each time you start a build if you want to have progress information.

Independent of that there's also the fact that ultimately the progress reporting mechanism will hook into the existing code at a level where it gets executed for every line that's being logged, so there's a bit of a performance concern.

Let me ask about my blocker once more: how do I get at macports::ui_options(progress_generic) from macports.tcl?

R.