Template for pull requests

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Jan 16 11:49:38 UTC 2017

On 15 January 2017 at 23:57, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 2017, at 02:44, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> What do others think of adding some templates to our repos?
>
> I often find them annoying in other projects because they ask the wrong questions. Can we find the right questions to ask?

* Some questions are there to remind the submitter to perform certain tasks.
(Did you run "port lint"? Did you make sure that "portindex" still works?)

Those are some stupid questions from the checklist that can catch a
few problems upfront without actually giving us any additional
information.

* Some questions are there to "educate" users:
(Did you read our <yet-to-be-written> PR submission guidelines?)

You already sent a few emails telling people that they should not
submit or merge 10 commits of work-in-progress (and how to format
commit messages), but those could be explained on a single short page.
We currently don't have some short and concise explanation of things
we expect from users/devs when committing and that would be the
perfect place to point the users to them.

* Some questions would actually help us:
(On which OS versions/archs did you test the compilation?)

I don't mind if users answer "none". I still find it a valuable
contributions if upstream developers submit changes with modified
checksums. And I'm sure that I won't test all the thousands individual
p5.26 subports.

But I agree: if we create such a list, it should be useful.

Mojca