[macports-ports] 01/06: pgcli: updates.

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jan 17 18:09:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-1-17 20:53 , Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
>> On 17 gen 2017, at 10:26, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> The variants don't appear to do anything at all.
>
> They’re there to propagate variant choice to a dependency, py-psycopg2.

I guess you're aware that this doesn't actually do anything, and the
variants only exist to encourage the user to specify one when installing?

The downsides:
* The situation where the user doesn't specify a variant is
contradictory. pgcli will be installed with +postgresql96 but
py-psycopg2 will be installed with +postgresql95. Similarly when the
user already has py-psycopg2 installed, the variant they specify when
installing pgcli will have no actual effect.

* Binary distribution now doesn't happen if the user asks for anything
but +postgresql96, even though the installed files are identical.

- Josh