Feedback on clang change (#53194)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jan 31 20:53:39 UTC 2017

On 31 January 2017 at 19:48, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:

> There are three ways to allow clang to refer to MacPorts libstdc++.
>
> 1) Create a *default* variant to have -stdlib=libstdc++ refer to MacPorts libstdc++.
>     This was quite rightly rejected because clang should be “as compatible with the host as possible.”
>     I only bring it up because the required patch is simpler.
>
> 2) Create a new command switch -stdlib=macports-libstdc++ to refer to MacPorts libstdc++.
>
> 3) Create a new subport clang-libstdcxx for which -stdlib=libstdc++ refers to MacPorts libstdc++.

Just to make sure: are we talking about libstdc++ 3 that is shipped with gcc6?

While I'm currently not yet sure how or when to use this, I don't see
a problem with #2.

Making it a non-default variant is probably useless, making
"-stdlib=libstdc++" switch to libstdc++ from MP (option #1) is a
no-go, creating a subport and having an additional compiler (option
#3) sounds like an overkill.

Unless this introduces undesired side-effects (which I don't believe
it does), I don't see the need for a variant. Unless the user does
something special and makes the extra effort to use a non-startand
flag -stdlib=macports-libstdc++, I guess that there won't be any
side-effects anywhere. So I see no harm in making this the default
once you do sufficient testing.

Mojca