should depends_lib really mean depends_lib-append ??

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 00:53:48 UTC 2017

This feels like something that has likely been discussed before ....

Now that PortGroups have important depend_lib-append, etc, in them, we don't want Portfiles to reset these by accidentally using depends_lib and trashing them, and yet this is easily done:

See <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/54422>

I would think that almost always, what the Portfile author intends is depends_lib-appends.

Should we just make depends_lib mean depends_lib-append (and similar for depends_build and depends_run) ?

If someone really wants to reset all the depends (almost never wanted, I bet) we could have specific

depends_lib reset

command that would never be used.

Ken