Build base archives for CI in a separate repository

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Jul 25 15:27:05 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-22 13:26, Zero King wrote:
> In [1], I patched MacPorts in an attempt to fix a bug (port(1) failed
> randomly on Travis). As it seems to be a Travis-specific bug, I plan to
> use a separate repository to generate MacPorts archives used in CI and
> keep the patch there. This way we can update the CI-specific archives
> without a new release in macports-base (e.g. when new releases of macOS
> become available on Travis).
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/macports-staging/macports-base/commit/282e498ac51ba40bdfd43008ce430ca20a7d54ce#diff-d7db55f70d83fc9dba4ef14de9febe71

Should we keep a separate branch in the base repository for this? We
could cherry-pick such hotfixes to that branch (could also be restricted
to infrastructure team). I don't think we need a whole other repository
for this and we should keep everything in one organization.

Besides that, I see no reason that this change could not go into regular
base with a comment explaining why it is necessary.

To debug the issue at hand, you could try to inject a
  system "/bin/ls -laeO@ ${target_dir}"
right before the 'file delete' to find out if there is anything like an
immutable flag on this file or directory.

Rainer