[GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Wed Jul 26 12:33:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 09:40:24PM +0530, Jackson Isaac wrote:
>Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,
>
>Phase 2 evaluations has begun. Deadline for filling the evaluations is
>July 28, 2017 16:00 UTC. The procedure remains the same as previous.
>Also please summarize the work done until now, challenges faced and
>how did you manage to overcome them.

I've completed my second evaluation.

Until now, I have coded and deployed the CI bot that tests pull requests
on Travis CI and the PR bot that mentions maintainers and adds labels
according to available information from the databases and GitHub API.
Some features aren't implemented yet but both bots have already
processed many PRs.

One of the biggest challenges is that I started from scratch and had to
make a lot of hard decisions like whether to use mpbb or call port(1)
directly and how to upload logs. I had to find a balance between
reliability, security, maintainability, etc. and sometimes had to
abandon some code due to design changes.

Another challenge is that I'm not good at wording so while I've spent a
lot of time on documentation and comments the results aren't ideal yet.

>Please let us know if there are any issues faced.

First, The com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist related bugs [1][2] appear randomly
(with low probability). While I've tried to fix [1] with [3], I'm not
able to verify if it works right away because I can't abuse Travis CI
resources to catch a random failure. Please help.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/macports/macports-ports/jobs/245649003
[2] https://travis-ci.org/macports/macports-ports/jobs/249233655
[3] https://github.com/macports-staging/macports-base/commit/84b040fbcb1134e5cab1cc10cfc991c2d05c4824#diff-d7db55f70d83fc9dba4ef14de9febe71

Second, I plan to keep the Travis build config for prebuilt MacPorts
binaries used in CI in a separate repository under github.com/macports
or a branch in macports-base that is rebased onto the release branch
whenever a new version of MacPorts is released. I prefer using a
separate repository because I can update the binaries by creating a new
release (tag) on the same commit (MacPorts version can be read from tag
name) and keep the setup for ports CI away from macports-base (they
aren't related IMHO). Any suggestion?

--
Best regards,
Zero King