about the libc++ conversion

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:33:04 UTC 2017

> simplify the libc++ conversion on older OS X versions

I'm working on something related.

It turns out that Clang-3.8 / llvm 3.8  builds without too much trouble on 10.5 PPC, using gcc6 to build it (see my trac tickets if you would like to see how to do that).

It can then build quite complex applications (aria2, pan, many more) that appear to run correctly, and link them against either libstdc++ (system) or libc++  (if you need cxx11 features). It can't build all applications, though, and there are some remaining potholes (e.g. exceptions, at the moment).

To have complete harmony all the c++ ports need to link against the same std library, but as you have noted, quite often in day-to-day use there is no problem if they don't.

If I could get clang-3.9 to build, I could use Marcus' adjustment to allow it's executables to link against gcc's libstdc++ and get harmony that way, perhaps.

Alternatively I might turn to your gcc modifications and get gcc to link it's binaries against libc++, and fix it like that.